Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Daydreaming

It is right in the middle of finals week and yet, this trip is all I can think about. I need to focus… lol. I’m trying to nail down the last minute details, such as getting a travel physical from the school, get registered for classes at Oxford, make travel arrangements, etc. I’ve started putting stuff on my spare bed that I think I might need. We were told to lay out everything we need to take, then cut it in half since we have to haul our luggage thru the streets of Oxford from the point were the bus drops us off to the university. Apparently, it is quite a hike. How it can be any worse than rushing across NC State campus hauling a backpack full off books trying to make it to class is beyond me but we shall see I suppose.

We went to a final orientation meeting at school to prepare us for the trip and to get some pointers from students that made the trip in past years. They told us things like the laundry facilities there are outrageously expensive so we should brace ourselves for that fact. They also said get a converter for electricity because the UK runs off 240 volts and we run off 100 volts. Oh...here’s another little fact I didn’t know. They provide a bottom sheet and a duvet for us at the school but no top sheet. When I asked why, they said it was because the British don’t use top sheets. That is considered an American way of making up a bed. I never knew that. I can sleep in a blanket rolled up on a mattress so I don’t care but I thought that was interesting.

Well, time to end this and get back to studying. Be sure to send the link to this site to anyone you think would be interested. I need to build my subscription list and word of mouth is the best way.

4 comments:

  1. So where do you have to walk from/to with all your gear? Sounds like they are having you get one of the main buses from the airport, but depending on where you need to go you might not want to get off at the end of the line....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We catch the bus at Heathrow and they told us to stay on it until we reach Gloucester Green. We walk from there to Somerville Lodge on St. Giles

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat is an interesting fact about the beds, I never use a top sheet. As a kid I always kicked it way to the bottom so finally my mom was like f*ck it. So I've used just s comforter for years... makes it so much more simple!

    ReplyDelete