Sunday, April 26, 2009

My dream

The chance to travel abroad and pursue my education is a opportunity of a lifetime for me. I chose to wait until my children were grown to finish my college degree so I would have the freedom to give my studies the attention and time they deserved. I have found this decision to be a wise one, as I have accomplished much more than I ever thought possible. While I was a student in Georgia, I maintained a very high GPA and was inducted into the National Honor Society and placed on the National Deans List. This taught me I could accomplish anything I set my mind to with simple hard work and determination.

I chose Oxford as my Study Aboard destination for several reasons. First of all, it is a world renowned institution and I know my participation in this program would enhance my resume tremendously. As one of the top universities in the world, Oxford has been the choice for some of the greatest leaders in history, including Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair, and our very own Sir Walter Raleigh. Bill Clinton even attended Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. The Oxford University website, http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/index.html, states, “Oxford boasts one of the most extensive global alumni networks in the world, with 160 branches in over 60 countries”. It would be the highest honor imaginable to be able to be associated with this caliber of students on an academic level. I am also interested in experiencing the teaching styles and academic excellence derived from a culture that is close enough to my own to make it comfortable but different enough to make it interesting. The experience of being taught by actual Fellows and Dons in the Oxford tradition of tutors spending one on one time with each student combined with classroom lectures is very appealing to me. As a CHASS major, I am required to take British Literature and European History. What better place is there to take these courses than in the very place they occurred?

Another reason I chose Oxford is its location. My mother’s family heritage has been traced back to the Royal Stewart Clan in Scotland and other family ties in Great Britain. The United Kingdom has always been a country of great interest to me and I would love to experience first hand the culture of my ancestor’s. I, like most Americans, tend to see my family as the people I associate with at reunions and gatherings. This opportunity will help me to see beyond those boundaries and to understand we are far more global then we comprehend.

I believe that studying abroad is something every Communications major should consider because in our careers we will be dealing with people from all over the world. If we limit ourselves to our own culture, we will not be able to truly understand others, were they came from, how they communicate, what their traditions are, what is important to them, and how we can bring all that together to accomplish our mutual goals. In this day and age of mass media and instant communication, we have to think beyond our borders and reach out globally. We are no longer restricted by our geographical boundaries in our personal lives or our business associations. Establishing connections and networks worldwide is vital to our success in any industry and can only serve to enhance our personal growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment